To begin with, you need to understand that obesity is a complex disease. During the course of my research for my book on natural solutions for obesity, I realized that obesity management is complex and requires a multi-pronged approach.
For instance, behavior plays an important role in obesity control and management. You can assist your husband by assisting him to achieve behavior change. Here are some tips for behavior change:
The daily routine and lifestyle provide the behavior pattern. Changing a set routine and a lifestyle is not an easy change to bring about. A bit of patience and support from family, friends, and group members goes a long way to achieve the goals that you could help him set for himself.
Tips on achieving behavioral change
Begin by setting some simple goals for changing behavior.
- Goals could be as simple as deciding to keep only healthy food at home.
- Dense, high-calorie food is just not bought or stored at home.
- When you are hungry and feel the need to snack, then keep low-calorie snacks ready and accessible.
- You may also decide not to eat while watching a movie or watching television as one tends to eat more doing that but on the dining table.
- Avoid keeping tempting snacks at your desk. I would not want to be sitting next to my work desk with a bag of potato chips in my lap.
- I regularly chew sugar-free gum while writing. I also keep a bottle of water handy, which I frequently sip, reducing the need for frequent snacking.
- As a matter of habit, fill half your plate with vegetables and split the rest between lean protein and starchy food like a potato. That should not just make for a satisfactory but also an enjoyable meal.
- You may also decide to take a walk during work breaks instead of snacking.
- The intent should be to drive behavior change in your meal habits and use the eating environment to support a change to achieve weight loss goals.
- It is essential not to rush through your meal. Remember, it takes about 20 minutes for the stomach to send a message to the brain that it is full. Take a bit of time while eating and give the stomach a bit of time to post – I am full – message to the brain.
If you are interested in learning about the available natural solutions for obesity, you can check this book title – Natural Solutions for Obesity.