Healthline: Medical information and health advice you can trust. – a popular health-related online newsletter, lists 12 popular weight loss pills and supplements. These are:
1. Garcinia cambogia extract
5. Raspberry Ketones
6. Green Coffee Bean extract
9. Green tea extract
10. Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA)
12. Bitter Orange/Synephrine
I looked at the scientific studies in support of the constituent herbs of each of these products in the course of researching for my book Natural Solutions for Obesity.
- The scientific support for each of these is generally limited to animal trials.
- Each of these supplements does show some evidence of weight loss.
- None of the evidence is conclusive.
Obesity is a complex disease. People looking for a silver bullet that will help them lose weight end up disappointed.
A weight loss program requires a combination of skills. You begin by ruling out medical causes for obesity. Once you have ruled that out, you check with a dietitian who will prescribed a customized diet that is appropriate to your need.
The diet has to be supported by physical exercises.
Bottom line, if you have no underlying causes for obesity, it all boils down to improving your lifestyle, making it more active, preferably plant based, low in fats and carbohydrates.
Natural Solutions for Obesity